Saturday, September 4, 2010

It's like finding an old friend

During the years that I was working on my masters degree, I got really into fashion.  I loved it all - jewelry, shoes, designer jeans, etc. - but particularly, earrings.  They kind of became my signature, so to speak.  I'm sure that the interest in fashion was due to a number of things...1) I'm a girl, duh.  2)  I was single and probably felt a bit of a need to constantly be "dressed to impress" because I never knew when Mr. Right could potentially be looking my way.  3)  It was during my masters degree that I started competing in pageants, and was, therefore, constantly surrounded by good looking girls who always looked flawless.  4)  I had a few piano friends at CMSU who were also quite fashionable and always looked great.  So, the appeal to fashion came very naturally during those years.

But....at some point, after moving to Texas, I completely lost interest.  I found myself more and more often reaching for something that was just simple and comfortable - the good 'ole stand bys.  Now, this is not to say that I ever got sloppy, because I really don't think I did.  I just stopped going out of my way to follow fashion trends and accessorize.  I think that this loss of interest was also probably due to a number of reasons...1)  I had found The One, and no longer needed to be constantly dressed to impress.  2)  I was no longer surrounded by pageant girls or my fashion forward piano friends.  3)  I had very little excess money, therefore, I rarely went shopping.  4)  I wasn't working out regularly anymore, and just didn't feel quite as good in my clothes anymore.

So, last spring, I began working out again.  I started running fairly regularly (about 3 to 4 times per week), and I have also been swimming a few times at the University fitness center.  I'm hoping to make swimming a more regular event, and I'm also looking forward to all of the fall classes offered at the University fitness center, like Zumba, Kickboxing and Pilates.  Well, it didn't take long for me to start feeling better about myself.  (I don't think I really looked that much different; the exercise just makes me feel better in general.)  About two weeks ago, I put on a really fashionable outfit and decided that what the outfit needed in order to make it perfect was a pair of cute earrings.  So, I opened my earring drawer....  I seriously don't know when the last time I opened that drawer was, and it really was like finding a long, lost friend.  I have so many great pairs of earrings, I can't believe I stopped wearing them for so long.


This may be really cheesy, but I feel like I've found a part of myself that somehow got lost along the way.  I know some people may disagree with this, but when I feel fashionable, it makes me feel better about myself overall.  I'm not saying that the way I feel about myself is entirely wrapped up in how I look, but for me, it certainly makes a difference.  And it's good to be back.  :)

1 comment:

Crystal Mathews said...

Amy! I have two pairs of those same earrings myself...from the good ole' days when we saw each other often and shopped for jewelry together! I miss those days and I miss you!